A screenshot from a WhatsApp Group consisting of top Kisumu County Government officials has gone viral.
One of the officials, the county’s CEC for Finance allegedly claims that the media is against the current regime and that journalists also deliberately twist stories to paint the county government negatively and therefore there’s need for a quick solution solution.
A member of the group, the manager of Kisumu’s CBK Band, Bovince Ochieng’ suggests that the county needs to coin ways and make the media look unreliable and spreading untrue facts since they have decided not to read from the same page with the government.
Well, the Kisumu Journalists Network through their chairperson Mr. Rushdie Oudia have shown their disappointment following the leaked screenshots in addition to a separate article that appeared on The Star newspaper authored by the Kisumu County Governor, Prof. Anyang’ Nyong’o.
In the article, the county boss indicated that journalists have formed a habit of asking for handouts in order to cover stories, which in his suggestion, could be resulting from poor payment by their respective employers, something that has irked the journalists.
“I would like to challenge the governor to pin point when, where and which particular journalist from Kisumu demanded for money from him to have his story or event published” part of the journalists’ statement read.
The journalists have further pointed out that they are not going to sit back and allow any individual whether a public figure or not, to malign the reputation of Kisumu journalists.
Following the leaked screenshot from a WhatsApp group baptized ‘The Protagonists’, the journalists have been made to believe that there’s a well hatched scheme to taint their image.
“As Journalists practicing in Kisumu, we refuse to be mere conveyor belts of the county or being their Public Relations (PR) arm. We have been and will continue reporting the events and stories as they are and adhering to every value of news including accuracy and factuality” they said
They have therefore asked the county government to put its house in order and get to work instead of concentrating on unnecessary squabbles with journalists as no amount of intimidation is going to stop them performing their rightful duties.
“WE WILL NOT BE COWED OR BOXED INTO SUBMISSION, WE WILL PERFORM OUR DUTY IN THE BEST WAY WE CAN WHILE UPHOLDING JOURNALISTIC CODE OF ETHICS” they made it clear
- Leaked screenshot of Bovince Ochieng’, CBK Band manager’s view on Kisumu media leaves many unimpressed
Also Trending in Kisumu:
- [SPONSORED] The Jameson Connect Party set for Kisumu tomorrow at the Buddy’s Bar & Grill from 6PM
- [SPONSORED] Five reasons why the luxurious Ciala Resort in Kisumu will be the perfect chill spot this weekend [Photos]
- Conjestina Achieng’ finally airlifted from Kisumu for treatment and rehabilitation, thanks to Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, gospel singer Daddy Owen and NACADA Director Chipukeezy
- Gor Mahia’s team photos as they leave for the UK to play Everton charms internet.
- [SPONSORED] Chandarana Foodplus opens its lakeside branch at the Kisumu’s West End Mall. Here are all the photos and all you need to know about the new supermarket