Shock and grief has struck students of two institutions in Siaya County after two lovers said to have been taking selfies along the R. Yala drowned and swept by the raging waters.
The two, identified as Derrick Auka, a third-year student at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology [JOOUST] and his girlfriend Shallete Atieno of Bondo Technical Training Institute, were on a scenic tour of the area before the incident occurred.
According to a witness, Shallette was standing on a stone while taking selfies before she slid and fell into the water.
Her boyfriend dived into the river in a rescue attempt which also ended fatal after being overwhelmed by the powerful currents.
Police and locals have still camped at the river trying to search for the two bodies, residents being assured of conclusive investigations which would be done to establish what exactly happened at the scene
The incident happened around 3pm on Saturday.
Derrick Auka was a third-year JOOUST student pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture while Shallette was pursuing a Diploma in Supply Chain Management at the Bondo Technical Training Institute.
The incident comes barely a year after another JOOUST student drowned in Lake Victoria during an outing in 2017.
Have anything to add to this story, join the conversation on the comments section below.
Also Trending Now on Kisumu Insyder:
- Ex-Kisumu MCA promises support for popular HIV/AIDs activist Phenny Awiti after confirming that she’s struggling
- Photo of submissive posture by Kisumu Deputy Governor while meeting ODM Party leader leaves internet gossiping
- Fresh details emerge as cash awards attached to controversial Facebook challenges by Kisumu man exposed as scams, challenge winners and Safaricom confirm
- Akothee pays first tribute to her late ‘husband’ in emotional message [Video]
- “We’ll not be cowed” Kisumu journalists respond to viral screenshot & reports confirming plans of the Kisumu County Government to ‘tame’ them