Today marks 50 years since Tom Mboya, one of Kenya’s brightest sons died in the hands of assassins.
At the time of his death, Tom Mboya, born in 1930 as Thomas Joseph Odhiambo Mboya was Kenya’s minister for Economic Planning and Development.
He was buried in Rusinga Island of Lake Victoria in a bullet-shaped mausoleum to signify the cause of his death.
Having been a one of a kind politician, the respect and honor that was accorded the title no longer exists as the name is today tagged to corrupt and controversial characters.
Mboya has been feted in many ways. In Kisumu, the Tom Mboya Labour College stands in his honour while in Nairobi, a statue and a street named after him feature in the CBD.
His wedding to Pamela at Nairobi’s Saint Peter’s Clavers Church on January 20, 1962, was a sterling event, earning it “the wedding of the decade” praise.
At 30, in 1960, he made history by becoming the first Kenyan to be featured on the cover of Time Magazine.
Mboya was 38 and firmly perched as the most likely successor to founding President Jomo Kenyatta when he was killed
Well, Tom Mboya’s 50th anniversary celebrations will be held today, Friday, July 5th, in Kamasengre village, Homa Bay County and will feature interdenominational prayers and cultural activities.
This year’s celebration is expected to be special as Mboya’s mausoleum was gazetted as a national monument and the Homa Bay county spending up-to KES 2M to renovate it and still has a budget for upgrading the monument to standards of a national museum.
Have a story, event, advert or you’d like to be featured on our website, write to our editor via firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp us +254 733 333 833.
On Telegram? Join our channel by clicking here to receive all our stories.
- “Sorry I won’t invite you to my show because of your toxic view on femicide” Adelle badly shames Jalang’o
- 10 facts bringing Betty Adera closest to winning the coveted ‘Ms. President’ title (Photos)
- Homa Bay women rep opens up about her silent struggle with colorectal cancer
- “Bob Collymore invented my signature green suit. Thank you Bob. RIP” – Jalang’o
- She said Yes! Famed HIV activist Phenny Awiti gets engaged to her Caucasian lover (Photos)
- Kisumu teacher arrested for defiling 4 of his students, 2 during a school tour