The annual Miss Nyalenda Pageant 2019 has been confirmed to be happening in November, bigger with more talented models.
Two previous successful editions were held in 2017 and 2018, events which satisfactorily celebrated the girl child by creating awareness of HIV/AIDs and dispelling associated stigma, promoting safe sex practices among other socio-cultural development.
According to the Miss Nyalenda patron, Nyalenda born Switzerland based Beatrice Schnelli Okello, the objectives of the initiative are but not limited to:
- Establishing avenues to support and ensure girls and young women benefit from a full cycle of quality education
- Strengthening the links between the health and education by distributing sanitary towels across the Nyalenda slums Kisumu.
- Empowering the community in low-income urban settlements starting with Nyalenda to safeguard rights of the girl child through education, awareness creation and skill development for employment and wealth creation.
- Engaging the community on awareness of HIV/AIDS, drug abuse, prostitution, safe sex, early teen pregnancy.
- Creating a platform to nurture and expose emerging talent in the youth of Kisumu and more specifically within Nyalenda.
Nyalenda was chosen for the pilot project as plans are being cemented to see the event finally spread wings to a wider niche.
Well, for this year’s edition, the pageants will battle it out for the top prize in November 23rd at the Joel Omino Primary School grounds, Nyalenda B.
Entrance to the event is a packet of sanitary pad, item(s) that will distributed amongst the needy school girls within Nyalenda.
Partners and sponsors for this year’s edition include:
- African Heritage Switzerland
- African Fashion Festival
- Nyalenda Schnelli Development Group
- Kisumu Insyder
- 4LR Creations
Have a story, event, business advert or you’d like to be featured on our website, write to our editor via firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp us +254 733 333 833.
On Telegram? Join our channel by clicking here to receive all our stories.
- Photos of singer Masauti’s performance at Kisumu’s Club Da Place on Sunday
- David Owuato’s ally recounts final moments with the Kisumu biker who died in a horrific Sunday accident (Photos)
- Actress Sandra Dacha ‘Silprosa’ explains her relationship with a married politician after their cosy photo emerged online
- Newly engaged Mishi Dorah gang raped in her house? Watch this video evidence
- Kisumu hotel manager to remain behind bars longer awaiting bail determination (Photos)